3.23.2015

7 ways to overcome the feeling of being overwhelmed

I have ADD (attention disorder). One symptomes of that, that I need always something new. Doing the things the same way is depressing. I have good days, and bad days, when I can't concentrating and focusing on my tasks. There are so many methods you can use to schedule and do your things. I have favorites of course, but sometimes they don't works!

The ideal planning method


To know, what you have to do, schedule and do it simple. For that I use Monthly-Weekly-Daily planner pages.

But if I'm feeling overwhelmed


I might not doing anything, because I can't choose. Or I choose wrong, and do not-so-important thing and forget to check my planner page and leave out really urgent and important tasks. What can I do in this case?

  1. Marking tasks "MUST DO". Starting with this. I can use highlighter.

    I used here highlighter for the most important things
    Or I take a little post it, and copy this task on here.
    MUST DO-s on post it

    It's on my mood. If I'm done with them, I can decide to give up for today, and make something for me. Or it can happened, that I don't feel myself overwhelmed any more and I can continue with other tasks because the stress decreased by finishing the MUST DO-s.
  2. I choose tasks can make in some minutes. I do them first. Maybe after turns out that my todo list is not so much as I thought.
    A weekly task list. I marked some with point
  3. I decide to make me today free. I'm working on one thing I make with pleasure. 
  4. I start on the top of my todo list and I don't care about how much I achieve.
  5. Pick 3 method: I take a post it and I write 3 tasks on it. If I'm done with it, I give myself a reward: I can knit some rows, or something else. Than I pick 3 new tasks. 
  6. I decide don't care about my todo list. I pick one big thing, and work the whole day only on that. I don't know how other people are with this, but for me doing a lot little tasks takes more-more energy as to working hard on only one thing. I will do the little things tomorrow, if I'm in better form.
  7. I use my clock. I say myself: I will work on this important task for a half our. Than I can do what I would like for the next half hour. Of course you can choose other time limits too :) The thing is: working only a short time on something is not too painful as to know: I have to finish this huge and frightened thing.
Has you any other idea? Do not hesitate to write in comment!
Happy planning!


6 comments:

  1. Great tips. I have ADHD so I know exactly what you're talking about.

    I like how you highlighted only the box of the priorities. Some people highlight the entire item and that throws me off since it looks to me like it's done. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agrre, Patty. Highlighting just the box is my favorite tip in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I make things sometimes different, I use the highlighter also to mark it "done". But when I make it that,I don't use the highlighter to anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that way sometimes. Looking over the past months where I've had to switch planner styles (bullet journal to ringed binder and now back) I know that changes in my life dictated what method I use and keeping things simple, but deep down I think boredom hits as well. I'm a fan of continuity and the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', but we shouldn't feel as if we have to stick with one particular way, especially if that way isn't working. You need to have peace with your system and if that system isn't working, then it's okay to experiment on different ways to lay out your day, tasks, etc. so that you're on track

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel that way sometimes. Looking over the past months where I've had to switch planner styles (bullet journal to ringed binder and now back) I know that changes in my life dictated what method I use and keeping things simple, but deep down I think boredom hits as well. I'm a fan of continuity and the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', but we shouldn't feel as if we have to stick with one particular way, especially if that way isn't working. You need to have peace with your system and if that system isn't working, then it's okay to experiment on different ways to lay out your day, tasks, etc. so that you're on track

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is no best way, because our soul works a little bit other every day. It can be maybe a near to perfect way... I think searching the best system is a never ending story. :)

      Delete